The blaze was reported at 9:12 a.m. Monday morning at 808 Fanning Grade in Ben Lomond. No one was home at the time but a neighbor heard a smoke alarm chirping and found a small fire inside the house.
Within seven minutes crews from Ben Lomond Fire District were on the scene and quickly quelled the blaze that had not spread to much of the house, said Chief Stacie Brownlee.
"The (neighbor) didn't open the door," Brownlee said. "So the fire didn't get any oxygen."
Oxygen causes a fire to burn hotter and more quickly.
However, Brownlee said, there was heavy smoke damage to the approximately 700-square foot home.
A wooden chair or box left in front of a wall heater appeared to be the cause of the fire, Brownlee said.