Local students receive scholastic honor
- Felton resident Brooke Carroll was named to Culver-Stockton College's Honor Roll in Canton, Mo. Carroll is a graduate of San Lorenzo Valley High School.
- Ben Lomond resident Rachel Bickert, a graduate of San Lorenzo Valley High School, was recently named to the dean’s list at Whittier College.
- Kyle Poppen, a Ben Lomond resident and graduate of San Lorenzo Valley High School, recently graduated from Berklee College of Music on Boston. He was also named to the dean’s list for the Spring 2013 semester.
- Daniela McIntire, a Felton resident and graduate of San Lorenzo Valley High School, was recently named a member of the dean’s list at the Savannah College of Art and Design in Savannah, Ga.
- Duncan Lindberg, a Felton resident was recently named to the dean’s list at the Rochester Institute of Technology, in Rochester, N.Y.
Scotts Valley resident graduates with honors
Laurel Brigham, a resident of Scotts Valley and Carmichael, was honored as a Scholar of Merit, Golden Seal Merit Scholar, and recipient of the International Baccalaureate Diploma at Mira Loma High School.
She has been accepted into the Environmental Studies Program at UC San Diego, where she will begin in the fall.
Felton resident heads to Arizona fire relief efforts
Howard Yancey, a Felton resident, joined a group of 18 American Red Cross volunteers headed to the organization’s relief efforts for the victims of the Arizona wildfires.
Yancey joined two Emergency Response Vehicles, each driven by teams of two local volunteers, to Arizona to provide support to those affected by the raging wildfires, leaving on Friday, July 5.
According to a Red Cross press release, an Emergency Response Vehicle can feed up to 3,000 meals a day when fully loaded and help with the bulk distribution of goods and supplies.
To make a donation, visit www.redcross.org or call 1-800-RED-CROSS.
Felton resident graduates from George Fox University
On Saturday, May 4, Felton resident Hannah Munger earned a bachelor of science in elementary education degree from George Fox University in Newberg, Ore.
Munger, a graduate of San Lorenzo Valley High School, joined about 375 students participating in the traditional undergraduate ceremony after completing study in one of George Fox's 41 bachelor's degree majors.
SLV alum graduates with honors from UCLA
Darby Mitchell Bukowski, a member of San Lorenzo Valley High School’s class of 2009, recently graduated UCLA with honors as Magma Cum Laude, earning a degree in Political Science with a minor in Environmental Systems and Society with an emphasis in International Relations.
Bukowski plans to head to Washington, D.C. to intern at the Capitol with U.S. Rep. Sam Farr, and continue her graduate studies in the D.C. area. She is the daughter of Deryk and Denise Bukowski of Boulder Creek.