Ben Lomond firefighter Mike Zerweck was part of a volunteer fire crew who controlled a house fire at 290 Urbana Lane inBen Lomond on Sunday morning. Among Zerwick’s duties was rescuing a family dog and returning it to the happy owner.
The fire started in a bedroom at about 9:55 a.m. Sunday, March 9 when the wind from a door closing sucked a hanging curtain over a candle that was sitting on a dresser near the window, according to Chief Stacie Brownlee.
A woman was at home putting her 3-year-old son into the bath. She returned to the bedroom to find it ablaze and escaped the house with her son without suffering any injuries.
Firefighters were able to contain the fire to the bedroom.