55.6 F
Scotts Valley
July 27, 2024

Datebook: Upcoming and ongoing events

Friday, Nov. 6

Mountain Gardener: Soggy spots can prove a valuable resource

We had enough rain this month to place those soggy areas of the garden you’ve been vowing for years to do something about at the top of the to-do list.

Year of Firsts: Finding a new hairdresser takes some cutting-edge techniques

Ann Landers used to say that when life gives you lemons, make lemonade. But when life gives you a bad hair day, what do you make of it? I don’t know if she ever answered that question.

Club Roundup

Kiwanis Club of Scotts Valley

Your Health: Understand the signs of Alzheimer’s

Alzheimer’s disease is the most common form of dementia, a term for loss of memory and other mental abilities severe enough to interfere with daily life. It is caused by physical changes in the brain.

New Faces

• Madylin Ann Baumert was born at 8:26 a.m. Oct. 14, 2009, to Kathryn Allison (Montgomery) and Brian Nils Baumert of Ben Lomond. She weighed 7 pounds, 6 ounces at Sutter Maternity and Surgery Center in Santa Cruz.

It’s the Law: Assuming the risk of sports

When my daughter was 7 years old, she looked at me with puppy dog eyes and said, “Papa, will you coach my soccer team?”

Datebook: Upcoming and ongoing events

Friday, Oct. 30

Wedding: Spehar, Kievlan marry in Brookdale

Jeri Spehar married George Kievlan on July 11, 2009, at a private home in Brookdale. 

The Mountain Gardener: Fall is prime planting time

Someone asked me the other day, “What’s good to plant this time of year?” It’s a good question.

SOCIAL MEDIA

2,479FansLike
7FollowersFollow
762FollowersFollow

Scotts Valley roller derby team wins second consecutive national title

Scotts Valley’s Santa Cruz Derby Groms female division team, the Gromshells, claimed their second consecutive Junior Roller Derby Association (JRDA) National Championship on July...