62.6 F
Scotts Valley
July 26, 2024

Off Hours: Talking health care reform

When the weather turned warm last week, I got a call from a riding pal who was putting together a short road trip.

It’s the Law: Outmuscling health clubs

Many dread the beginning of the school year, as do I, but probably for a very different reason.

New Faces

Micah Joseph Mohamed was born at 3:18 p.m. Sept. 5, 2009, to Aaron and Julia Mohamed of Bonny Doon. He weighed

Mountain Gardener: First of fall a perfect time to transplant

It’s late September, and you can feel autumn in the air. While our days are still beautiful and warm, the nights are getting cooler with fewer daylight hours — perfect weather for transplanting or adding new plants to your garden.

Club Roundup

Scotts Valley Host Lions

The Wine Lover: How do you make wine, anyway?

In my most recent column, I discussed how rewarding it can be to make your own wine. Then I realized it might be a good idea to do a follow-up explaining in general terms some of what’s involved.

Let’s go fishin’: The return of the Kings

Fall marks the return of the Chinook — or King — salmon to the Klamath River.

Mountain Gardener: Trip down memory lane reveals many landscape secrets

Editor’s note: This is Part 2 of a two-part series on historical gardening.

Nature friendly: Welcoming the autumnal equinox

The sun does not rise as high over my redwoods. Deciduous trees — the cottonwoods, the sycamores — are changing into their fall wardrobe of gold and glitter along the San Lorenzo River. The big-leaf maple is dressing for its show-stopping finale. Even the demonic poison oak is turning crimson.

Your health: Know risks for ovarian cancer

September is Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month. The subject of ovarian cancer was brought home to me this year when my 37-year-old niece was diagnosed with it.

SOCIAL MEDIA

2,479FansLike
7FollowersFollow
762FollowersFollow

Scotts Valley roller derby team wins second consecutive national title

Scotts Valley’s Santa Cruz Derby Groms female division team, the Gromshells, claimed their second consecutive Junior Roller Derby Association (JRDA) National Championship on July...