62.6 F
Scotts Valley
July 26, 2024

Albacore heaven in Monterey Bay

In the world of ocean fishing, it seems as though when a season is good for one species of fish it is good for most fish. What this means is that the Monterey Bay has had a very prolific year.

Valley people

U.S. Army Pfc. Harper H. Evans, son of Daja Evans of Scotts Valley, has completed combat training at Fort Jackson, in Columbia, S.C., with honors.

New faces

Quinn William Orion Homan was born at 12:25 p.m. May 26, 2009, to Christine Marie Gilbert and Joshua William Homan of Scotts Valley. He weighed 6 pounds, 14 ounces at Dominican Santa Cruz Hospital.

Doctors are fathers, too

Happy Father’s Day to my late grandfather, Norman Hollenbeck, M.D., and my father, Stanley Hollenbeck, M.D. You both were the inspiration that led me to my chosen career of medicine. How proud I felt when I graduated from the Medical College of Wisconsin, the same medical school that both of you attended.

Find plants with intrigue for several seasons

Driving east to Yosemite recently, I was reminded of how diverse botanically and geologically is the state of California.

Ridin’ with the Wheeldude: Bumps in the Road

Let’s see how we’re doing on our main aim — surviving the road dangers of our twin valleys.

Here’s to the musicians who make the bar scene happen

Any music fan will tell you the value of having a bar — or several — in the community. Besides being generally safe, vibrant places to meet and socialize, they are often the only places where one can see live popular music.

Time to prune your way through the garden

It’s mid-June, and everything in the garden is full and lush. Your Japanese maple might be getting a little too full for your taste, outgrowing its space, crowding the neighbors, looking like a boring blob. But take the fear out of pruning with these easy steps.

‘The first thing we do, let’s kill all the lawyers’

A popular interpretation of the Bard’s famous line is that killing the lawyers will give us a measure of satisfaction for the irritation they cause. A more noble interpretation, undoubtedly offered by a lawyer, is that the character in “Henry VI” wants to kill the lawyers so the tyrannical paymaster can plunder with impunity.

Visiting wineries on the east side of the mountains

This past weekend was the Vintner’s Festival on the west side of the Santa Cruz Mountains, and many local private wineries opened their doors to the public for barrel samples and exclusive tastings.

SOCIAL MEDIA

2,479FansLike
7FollowersFollow
762FollowersFollow

Scotts Valley roller derby team wins second consecutive national title

Scotts Valley’s Santa Cruz Derby Groms female division team, the Gromshells, claimed their second consecutive Junior Roller Derby Association (JRDA) National Championship on July...