49.9 F
Scotts Valley
English English Español Español
April 23, 2021

Issues from 2020 will follow us into 2021

By Bruce McPherson, County Supervisor It’s an understandable instinct at the end of each calendar year to wrap up undone business and start the new...

A Thanksgiving poem

Once upon a time when our area was underwater there were no parks or trails or trees or gardens. I'm thankful that our mountains rose from...

All gardens change with time

Whether you want them to or not all gardens change with time. It’s part of nature that the fittest survive. Possibly you have different...

Enriching the Soil With Cover Crops

Every drop of rain that hits bare soil is destructive. Over 3,000 years ago the Chinese protected their soil from erosion and increased fertility...

Senior Moments

Have you ever had any of these experiences?

The Heartbeat of Life

I was talking with a neighbor the other day, and I asked him how life was going. He replied, ‘Oh, you know, it’s like an EKG graph; up and down.”  This got me thinking about the heartbeat of life. It does consist of up and down phases. With Covid-19, social justice issues, and politics, this has been a challenging year. These stressors are on top of the other difficulties we are already experiencing in our own personal lives. Then came the fires, which pushed most all of us over the edge into emotional exhaustion. In the heartbeat of life, we are definitely experiencing a down phase on that EKG graph!

Resveratrol, The Red Wine Antioxidant

As a plant-derived substance, resveratrol can be found in various dietary sources including grapes, berries, peanuts, and red wine. Another important source of resveratrol is the Japanese knotweed, which has long been used in Japan and China as a traditional herbal remedy. Interestingly, the grape and more precisely the grape skin contains the highest concentration of resveratrol. Consequentially, red wine seems to be the most concentrated food source of resveratrol found in human diet. However, it is not possible to absorb the recommended therapeutic doses of resveratrol by drinking wine or through dietary sources.

Return to Sender

In the 1960s, the BBC was playing over and over for its listeners…Elvis Presley’s latest hit about writing a letter to a lost love –

SOCIAL MEDIA

2,140FansLike
0FollowersFollow
528FollowersFollow