75.1 F
Scotts Valley
July 26, 2024

A poem of thanks on a joyous holiday

Once upon a time, when our area was under water,

Year of Firsts: In defense of carrying small dogs

Walking my dog can be arduous exercise. For me, not the dog. Whenever I walk him, I can’t get more than 10 feet without someone wanting to stop and talk.

Your Health: Picking a cold medication is simpler than it seems

Recently, I walked into one of our local pharmacies, and I was amazed to see the tremendous number of cold and flu medications filling the shelves.

Persimmons: perfect fare for garden or kitchen

With the holidays upon us, there’s probably no other tree that typifies the season more than the persimmon. Bright orange fruits peek out between the leafy branches now, but soon, they’ll hang alone like Christmas ornaments.

Grab a passport to select SC wineries

Passport Day in the Santa Cruz Wine Region is Saturday, Nov. 21, and it is an excellent time to go wine tasting. It only happens four times a year, and this will be the last chance to celebrate in 2009.

Stripers, steelhead and crabs for fall

Fall has brought forth a few new fishing opportunities. Fishing the upper Trinity River has produced steelhead for fly fishermen. The Delta is hosting top-water action for striped bass. Salmon continue to enter the coastal rivers, and Dungeness crab season is open.

Datebook: What’s happening in the mountains

Santa schedules stop in Felton

Host an at-home film festival

Movies are a great way to spend a few hours on a rainy night or weekend afternoon. To both extend the experience and make it a family affair, try organizing your own personal film festival.

Talk about Money: Protect your portfolio from a falling dollar

A recurring theme over the past several months has snagged more than a few headlines:

SOCIAL MEDIA

2,479FansLike
7FollowersFollow
762FollowersFollow

Scotts Valley roller derby team wins second consecutive national title

Scotts Valley’s Santa Cruz Derby Groms female division team, the Gromshells, claimed their second consecutive Junior Roller Derby Association (JRDA) National Championship on July...